You’ve heard the saying, dress for the job you want, not the job you have, but how do you actually do this? What can you do to make an awesome first impression and get your dream job?
From the moment you meet someone new, your appearance speaks for you, even if you have not yet said a word. People notice things about you like the clothes you’re wearing, your hairstyle, and the jewelry you have on, and they make assumptions about you based on these things.
So how do you make a great first impression by dressing for success? Read on as we reveal our top tips!
Dress for the Company Culture
In the business world, every organization has its own unique company culture and follows different types of dress codes. Anytime you attend a meeting or interview with a company, it’s best to align yourself with their company culture and dress code. Doing this will help present you as a good fit for the company. For example, if you’re interviewing with a bank, wear a suit because the dress code in banking is more formal than many other industries.
Before a meeting, do some research to figure out what the dress code is for the specific company. By looking your professional best, you will walk in prepared and confident! These are the common dress codes companies use:
- Business formal –As the top level of professional dress, formal suits, solid color ties, button-up shirts, dress shoes, and dark colors are all common in this dress code.
- Business professional – This dress code allows you to wear more color in your outfits. Dress pants, professional skirts, sports jackets, ties with patterns, and nice shirts are all acceptable.
- Business casual –Here you can add more personality to your appearance. Shirts with colors and patterns, skirts in many colors, khakis, polos, vests, and sweaters all work for this dress code.
- Casual –Being the most informal dress, casual allows for many different outfit choices. T-shirts, jeans, skirts, sweaters, sandals, and sneakers can all be worn in a casual dress code.
One important thing to note is to always dress up for meetings and interviews, even if a company follows a casual dress code. This will show your professionalism as soon as you walk in the door.
Dress for the Specific Event
Different career events require different types of dress. When going to a job interview, looking your professional best can set you apart from other candidates. Wearing an outfit that is business professional, picking colors that aren’t distracting, having a professional hairstyle, and not adding too much jewelry or fragrance are great to remember for interviews. You only get one opportunity for a great first impression, so make it count!
Interviews today can be completed in different ways, such as a video interview via Skype. When attending a video interview, looking professional is important, as the other person will still see your appearance. Dressing in business clothes and wearing a professional hairstyle is essential, because the interviewer will see at least the top half of you.
Events like career fairs and networking meetups require you to look professional as well. The people you meet at these events can advance your career because they may be hiring directly, have influence in hiring decisions, or can refer you to potential opportunities.
Dress for Success Tips
Dressing for success can seem overwhelming to students and new graduates who are just starting out in their careers. Being unsure about what is appropriate for the workplace and not having many professional clothes are common challenges. Here are some tips to get you started:
- Shop strategically and buy clothes that can be worn in various ways
- Choose more solid colors because patterns can be distracting
- Wear clothing that is work appropriate
- Keep jewelry minimal by choosing your favorite piece and wearing that one only
- Cover piercings and tattoos, as you want people to focus on how awesome you are, instead of wondering about the meaning of your tattoo
- Rock a professional and clean hairstyle
- Don’t overdo it with perfume or cologne, because others may be allergic
- Wear professional and natural makeup looks
Remember this quote from Oscar Wilde when you’re unsure of how to dress for success: “You can never be overdressed or overeducated.”
Jump Start Your Career
Now that you’re dressing for success, you will make a great first impression on everyone you meet!
AT East Ohio, get the education and training to go with your new professional look! Jump start your career with programs in Nursing, LPN to RN Bridge, Medical Assisting, Medical Office Administration, Dental Assisting, and Business Administration. Request information now to get started!